>>Your guide to wedding invitation terminologies

Your guide to wedding invitation terminologies

Clueless about wedding invitations? Worry not as this glossary guide will give you all the terminologies you need to know before picking a designer for all of your wedding cards.

Design Terms:
Accessories: These are the add-ons in your invitation like beads, ribbons and other decorative material you want to input in your card.

Belly Band: It is a piece of material that is wrap around your invitation to make it look more presentable.

Calligraphy: Artistic, stylized handwriting. Traditionally, a calligrapher would use ink and a quill or steel nib pen. Calligraphy can be used on invitations, envelopes, and place cards.

Point size: It is the unit of measure representing the size of a letter.

Typeface: It is the look and style of a letter. It is often called as “font.”

Typography: It denotes the art of arranging typefaces, line length and point size into a unified and legible language.

Paper Terms:
Backer: It is literally the back of your invitation card which most people neglects. Spice the back by inputting your love story.

Bamboo paper: Made from a bamboo, it is a type of eco-friendly paper that has a very thick and soft texture that is perfect for letterpress printing.

Corrugated: It is known as the thick wrinkles, hollows and edges that give any invite a insubstantial look.

Cotton fiber: Often made from 100 percent cotton, it is a type of paper mostly used for traditional wedding invitation.

Glassine: It is a waxy paper that’s very thin with a glossy, polished surface. Best used for making envelopes and liners.

Handmade papers: It is often made from natural materials including plant fibers, rag, cotton and hemp which has an irregular or rough surface.

Industrial papers: These type of papers are often made from reprocessed materials which gives them a hip and rugged design.

Printing and Production Terms:
Digital printing: It creates the same outcome with your printer at home or in your office but has a higher quality because it use tiny dots to make the characters and photos in your wedding invitations.

Embossing: This is a printing process that uses two die to raise letters and images on the paper’s surface.

Engraving: A method where a plate is engraved through your invitation wording and after which, pressed into the paper, sending off merely the letters somewhat raised.

Foil stamping: A procedure in which a copper plate is used to push gold, silver or even colored metallic foils into the paper to create an impression; the foil also make a shiny design.

Laser cutting: A process that uses a laser to cut out words and design details on invitations — it leaves barely noticeable burn marks on the back of the paper.

Letterpress: A printing technique in which a metal plate is carved to leave behind only the lettering and images you want printed. The letters are inked on this type of printing production.

Offset printing: It is called flat printing by other designers because tthis involve a stamp-like material that prints the text and images at once. You can use highly textured paper to add dimension to the otherwise flat appearance of the text.

Screen printing: It is a process that involves a mesh stencil called the screen where the letters are being pressed against your invites which are usually fabric. Ink is then pressed through the porous mesh onto the material with a roller.

Thermography: The subtle difference between thermography and engraving is that with thermography, the text is slightly shiny and the back of the invitation remains smooth. Plus, this type of printing production is cheaper.

By |2016-11-10T17:45:38+00:00March 18th, 2016|Wedding Invitation|Comments Off on Your guide to wedding invitation terminologies

About the Author: